Pothos Leaves Turning Yellow – Is It a Point to Concern?
Having a pothos plant gives you oxygen purifies the air and brings a refreshing touch to your eyes. Besides being fully useful pothos is easy to grow as it doesn’t require an excessive amount of water and sunlight. However If you dont give it enough attention, it may not be able to grow properly and dry out its leaves. As with spider plant brown tips, pothos leaves can turn yellow if adequate care is not followed.
Yellow Leaves on Pothos – Why?
Improper Light Causes Yellow Leaves on Pothos:
It is fully recommended to place the plant near your bedroom window to make it get sufficient sunlight so that it’ll stay firmed and free from faded leaves. Once you’ve kept the plant in the defined place, measure the watering amount first because the pothos that gets placed in low sunlight requires less water than the one that’s directly put in the direct sun.
If you keep the pothos plant at a spot that lacks ample sunlight, like your office or bedroom you need to be conscious of the plant’s watering.
Before watering the plant it’s best to examine the soil and avoid moistening the plant in case the soil is damped; otherwise the plant root will get rotted resulting in pothos leaves turning yellow. There is also a common question asked about how often to water aloe vera plant.
It’s required to keep the pothos watering balanced. The plant needs to get appropriately moistened to place it directly before the sun. Its growth and leaves color get impacted if the plant isn’t receiving the right amount of water. So if you notice your pothos leaves turning yellow and curling, simply pay attention to the watering schedule.
Pothos leaves turning yellow due to inconsistent watering:
Ensure not to water the plant if the soil is moistened otherwise water the plant properly. When you get used to the watering schedule, you’ll know how often you need to water for your pothos in three weeks. Just keep doing it to make the plant bigger and keep its leaves fresh and pure green.
There are many anti-pests sprays in the market that keeps your pothos plants protected from insects without affecting the plant’s growth. So apply these sprays to eliminate pests and make the plant grow consistently.
Even if your pothos is well watered in an ideal location with adequate sunlight, and is protected from mites but still its leaves are turning yellow you should need to take take a closer look at the plant’s roots.
Repot the plant straight away on the condition of finding no place for the root to flourish and grow. The root that’s running out of place from the pot poorly impacts the plant and causes yellow leaves pothos.
As previously said a pothos plant doesn’t need a lot of sunlight thus we keep it in an area with a low amount of sunlight. This plant can also become a host for fungus if it is always wet. The fungus restricts the plant’s ability to take nutrients from the soil by interfering with its growth.
Consequently the fungal disorder leads to pothos leaves turning yellow and changing their shape. In case of not treating it timely and keeping it safe from fungus this houseplant can completely wither away. So water your plant but never make it too moist and regularly keep the plant in low sunlight for a couple of hours.
Temperature Requirements for pothos leaves turning yellow :
- Put this houseplant far from the sun at a hot place to get it safe from the direct sunlight. Again you need to be vigilant with watering so that your plant stays free from underwatering and keeps moistened to grow properly.
- Set this houseplant’s pot near the window to get the required sunlight if you live in a too cold area. Extra water will cause root rot and pothos leaves to turn yellow with black patches.
Unbalanced Watering – Its Impacts & Remedies
Underwatering Pothos Plant
- Leaves started to get yellow from the tip
- Leaves seem fully dried
- Curling down and losing pothos leaves
Overwatering Pothos Plant
- Losing the shape of the leaves
- Appearing the yellow leaves quickly
- Leaves become softer and mushy
- Turning pothos leaves into light green color
- Overwhelming each part of the pothos plant with yellow leaves
If your pothos plant is underwater get them moist immediately. Yet excessive usage of water at a time and cold water hurt the plant more.
Overwatering is also depending on how much the plant got affected. Suspend to watering the plant right away if the soil feels fully wet. Even though there are some yellow leaves and the stem is in good shape, if it’s still strong and firm following the advice below will help.
Uproot the Plant:
Take out the plant from the soil smoothly. Use a soft brush to clean the plant’s root to check the root’s roteness. If there’s only a slight part of the root is damaged, wipe this part and re-grow the root and be very strict with the watering scheme to get rid of pothos leaves turning yellow irritants.
Propagate pothos if leaves turns yellow:
To find the root rotted propagate the plant. If you lack a proper idea of how to propagate a pothos plant just study out the Pothos Propogation portion of this write-up.
Renewal of Old Leaves :
Sometimes turning yellow of pothos leaves isn’t due to any disorder but due to natural processes. When the plant’s old leaves get aged, they begin to transform into a lemon shade and start to fall off.
Still if you’re attached to your plant and don’t desire to see its leaves in different colors just hold sanitized scissors and clip off the yellow leaves to get your plant fresh again.
The cutting leaves will be placed with new greenish leaves within days to create an appealing look in your bedroom or office. So you don’t need to get worried quickly if your pothos changes its leaves colors but staying fully neglectful isn’t right.
Pothos Leaves Turning Yellow – How to Fix Them?
Pothos fall on the list of must-have indoor plants as it beautifies the surrounding and changes the overall look of your bedroom. Many people also prioritize this plant over indoor palm plants due to its carefree nature since it stains its growth in the low sunlight and doesn’t require to be prudent all the time.
Yet, it’s totally not supportive of having a plant in your bedroom without being conscious of its care. Unstable sunlight, underwatering, and overwatering won’t let the plant maintain the proper formation and will defectively change the color of leaves.
Here, you’ll get to know about how to fix pothos leaves that turn yellow and keep your plant healthy and fresh.
Repot the Plant if leaves are turning yellow:
Yellow Pothos Leaves – Feeding Problem
Provide the required amount of nutrients to your pothos if you have deep intimacy with it as poor supplements don’t allow the plant to survive longer. Moist the plant with rich in saltwater, fluorides and chlorine will surprisingly improve the plant’s growth and keep the leaves unimpaired. Contrariwise yellow spots appear on the pothos plants that lack iron, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Magnesium Deficiency: Magnesium produces chlorophyll to absorb light and provide leaves energy. If this houseplant isn’t getting the required amount of magnesium its leaves start to get yellow at the edge.
- Nitrogen Deficiency: Getting the leaves yellow from the bottom of the plant causes nitrogen deficiency.
- Sulfur Deficiency: If the leaves start to get yellow from the pothos top low sulfur can be the cause of it.
Get the Plant Rich in Nutrients For saving Pothos Leaves Turn Yellow:
Follow the below described approaches to make the plant opulent in minerals.
- Make sure you look at the soil the right way. If the plant’s leaves look burned because the soil is dry water the plant. However if you’re a little more careful with your pothos it will let you know when it needs water. So be careful with this plant to keep it healthy and fresh.
- Fill a jug with clean water and keep it uncovered overnight so that the water can evaporate the minerals. Use this vaporized water for your plant to fulfill its minerals’ requirements.
- Concern with a botanist to get a pothos food guide and follow the prescription to get your pothos healthy and fresh all the time.
Pothos Leaves Turning Yellow – Propagation
Propagating a pothos is the right solution in case pothos leaves turn yellow quickly. Keep your pothos in good shape. Even if its leaves are dying off quickly you just need to spread it the right way. Check out these tips if you don’t know how to grow a pothos:
Pothos Propagation – Additional Benefits
Besides bringing the natural color to your leaves, pothos propagation gives you multiple benefits:
Types of Pothos That Change Color Easily
Pothos plants are classified by leaf variegation and form. Some pothos leaves are sensitive enough to change colour while others do not despite low light and inadequate moisture.The following are categories :
- Marble Queen Pothos (Epipremnum Aureum):This pothos grows slowly. Avoid marble pothos for quick growth. It hates light. Yellow marble queen pothos leaves. But absolute darkness hinders its growth. So cultivate marble queen pothos in shade.
Final Thought For Pothos Leaves Turns Yellow
Sometimes pothos leaves turn yellow due to reasons such as improper watering, sunlight issues, defective nutrients, root rot and poor drainage system to root-bound. At times it’s a natural process for the renewal of leaves. Yet we need to figure out the reason quickly if our pothos leaves turn yellow and curled and treat the plant accordingly to revive its greenness and keep its leaves shape well.